About Barry Tompkins biography
Barry Tompkins is a 47-year network television veteran. He is a play-by-play broadcaster, a four-time Emmy Award winner, and in 2006 was voted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame for his work as a boxing commentator.
Barry was born and raised in San Francisco and began his career in local television at KPIX TV in 1968. Since then he has spent five years at NBC, ten years at HBO, eight years at ESPN, fifteen years at Fox Sports and currently does the ShoBox and Championship Boxing series' for Showtime while continuing to do a full schedule of college football and basketball.
His credits include play-by-play commentary of The Super Bowl, the Rose Bowl, the NCAA Final Four, eight Olympic Games, The Tour de France, Wimbledon, the French Open and the U.S. Open Tennis, the World Gymnastics Championships, World Swimming and Diving Championships, World Figure Skating Championships, and horse racing's Triple Crown, World Cup Skiing, San Francisco Giants baseball, and over 200 World Championship fights.
In addition he has covered the Masters, U.S. Open, British Open and PGA golf events, The Indy 500, Baseball World Series, hockey Stanley Cup, and the Soccer World Cup.
Barry spent 35 years associated nationally with Pac 12 Conference football and basketball, and currently does Mountain West Conference football and Mountain West and WCC basketball for Time Warner Cable, Root Sports and Comcast Sports. He is also a weekly contributor on CSN Bay Area's Yahoo Sports Talk Live, a nightly one-hour sports conversation show.
In addition to his broadcasting work, Barry writes a humor column for the Marin Independent Journal and is a contributing columnist for Comcast Sports Net Bay Area. He also teaches Storytelling for Television at Dominican University in San Rafael, CA.
Marin Independent Journal columns
- Goodbye, holidays, and good riddance
- I have now reached the OD point. I am done with figuring out which gifts to buy for my loved ones. Done with entertaining. Done with present wrapping and celebrating. I've made my last toast, hugged my last visitor, wished my last sales clerk happy holidays.…more (Marin IJ)
- Nobody knows him better than his MacBook
- I am outraged this week. Metropolitan Life has fired Snoopy.…more (Marin IJ)
- Snoopy, it's no dog's life at MetLife anymore
- I am fine with being not quite as smart as my wife. This is not to suggest that I am not professionally competent enough to do much more than count coffee cans on an assembly line. It's more that she's well read, an organized thinker and able to defend her position with the effectiveness of a trial lawyer. I, on the other hand, can do the Jumble in less than a minute, finish the New York Times crossword puzzle in an hour and am reduced to babbling when confronted with my wife's logic. We've been married for 28 years now and I've yet to win an argument, even when I'm right.…more (Marin IJ)